Thank you for filling out my short survey about the freelance life. I found the responses to be very illuminating and hope you agree. One goal of this survey was to illuminate to you, the respondents, that the concerns you have are not unique. That there are others out there who are encountering the same challenges and hoping for the same opportunities.
On the quantitative front, most of the freelancers who filled out the survey are writers (which may be a product of my immediate network), more than half purposefully started a freelance career, and about 40% have been doing it for 5 years or more.
What was the one thing you wish you knew when you started out?
Many of the respondents came from creative backgrounds, so they were especially confounded by the financial/accounting aspects of the work, from invoicing to legal protections to hiring an account
Time management was another common theme. Not only how to ensure you were making your day as productive as possible, but also how you can find time to enjoy yourself without feeling guilty.
- The disappointment of too-true-to-be-good opportunities that went nowhere
- Not working for free and asking for more money
- Cross-selling and upselling
- How to ensure a client is happy with your work
- Finding more work
Greatest Challenge as a Freelancer
These are listed in order of most prominent:
- Receiving fair compensation for work
- Keeping an active pipeline
- Staying motivated
- Time Management
- Managing Finances
- Combating Loneliness
- Finding corporate sponsors for passion projects
- Dealing with external factors that keep you from working